If you’d like to see any photo larger you can right click and open in a new tab or window, or just click on the photo and it’ll enlarge the image and you can scroll through the photos with your arrow keys. Push escape to return to the blog page.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Paint out day!


This was the site of our plein air paint out today---a private home with an abundance of flowers, vistas overlooking the valley, and fun garden art tucked here and there to surprise us!


The variety of poppies was pretty stunning---these especially, each one about the size of a dinner plate---or larger! There were red poppies, frilly orange & lavender ones, and these amazing giant white beauties.



I loved the painted floor in the bathroom...how cool is this?!


This poppy was unique with its crackle-like white veins shooting out from the centers.


Here's what I finally settled on painting. At first it was in the shade---like I was, but then as we approached noon, the poppy was flooded with sunshine, making bright highlights and subtle shadows I tried to throw in at the last minute.


This was the first layer of pastel on my 12x12" canvas.


And here is the pastel painting at its almost finished state. I need to study it for a bit now, see if there's anything I don't like, or want to change. Any suggestions? Constructive criticism? Ideas?

1 comment:

m i c h e l l e said...

What a terrific venue for your paint out day! Gorgeous flowers and I totally would have taken a picture of the bathroom floor too!!! LOL!

Your poppy picture is gorgeous! I LOVE the contrast of the red and orangey yellow. My only suggestion would be to lower the background. The reddish purpley color and effect are beautiful but I feel like I want to see MORE of where the red and orange meet. I want more punch! Does that make sense? :-)