If you’d like to see any photo larger you can right click and open in a new tab or window, or just click on the photo and it’ll enlarge the image and you can scroll through the photos with your arrow keys. Push escape to return to the blog page.

Friday, May 29, 2009

Painting, painting, painting!

Today I'd like to show you what I was working on earlier this month for a friend of my brother's. She wanted me to do a painting of her mother as a toddler sitting on her mother's lap (this friend's Grandma's lap). I haven't done any portraits for ages, aside from the occasional random sketch of a stranger while waiting for pizza or something. I decided though to take on this challenge and after agreeing on a price, size, and medium I went to work. We also agreed since it'd been a while, she wasn't obligated to purchase the finished piece unless she loved it! I was okay with that, since I knew I could salvage the canvas & either try to sell it as is or remove the portrait & use it for something else. This way, no pressure for either of us.

The biggest challenge was using the photo she gave me! This is something I swore off ages ago---unless I was able to collect my own image by drawing from life, or shooting my own photo, I'd refuse to do any painting commissions. That's usually part of my inspiration---the composition of light, shadow, color, all directed by me to create the final image. I was open to something new to push my creativity though, and decided to work with what I was given to see if I could succeed with something that made the both of us happy.

First off, here's what the original 3 x 3 1/2" photo looked like:


This is the initial sketch on the 12x12" canvas:


A close-up of the faces with the first layer of pastel:


This is about 3/4 finished---if not almost finished:


Here's the finished painting, after it was checked out & approved by the new owner:


With this painting I've learned to not obsess over exactness & to be satisfied with "close enough". Knowing that my buyer is thrilled and very excited with the finished product makes me happy too!

Next up: a poppy painting marathon...

1 comment:

m i c h e l l e said...

Very very cool. And like you say, the painting and pic are exact matches, but you've definitely captured the mood and a very interesting dynamic between these two. Great job, Jana!